Betfair is definitely a unique player in the global wagering space. They stand apart from the rest because of their offering to punters of ‘Back’ and ‘Lay’ betting with the latter always angst amongst officials since their launch in Australia back in 2005. Essentially its one punter’s opinion versus another on Betfair, with the platform itself an intermediary between two parties. That is the difference between betting with them and corporate bookmakers. Betfair don’t compete on product or promotions but their offering is enough for you to want to open an account and play around. It is definitely a bookmaker for the more seasoned punter and expert. Trying to get a handle of the commission you pay on winnings and the use of their points system is hard at first but gets easier once you get into the swing of things.
Overall rating: 3.5 out of 5.
Betfair is the world’s largest, and Australia’s only, peer-to-peer wagering platform. Founded in 2000 by Andrew Black and Edward Wray in the UK, Betfair grew rapidly in its formative years as punters were exposed to an exciting new betting platform which followed the acquisition of Timeform and TVG Network in the US. A float on the London Stock Exchange in 2009 established Betfair as one of the premier wagering platforms in the world. In 2015, it was announced that Paddy Power and Betfair were merging to form one of the biggest betting operators on the planet. Their entry to the Australian market occurred in 2005 off the back of the Tasmanian government granting them a wagering licence. Crown Resorts owns and operates the Betfair licence in Australia.
- Huge variety of markets
- Wide selection of live streaming events from overseas
- Can find great value in many of their markets
- Lay betting
- The Hub – a wealth of betting information from an expert’s point of view
- Betfair SP
- Can be overwhelming for the amateur punter
- Desktop is far better to use than mobile app
- Lack of promotions
- Pay commission on winnings
- BACK BETTING. Back a team, horse or event to win.
- LAY BETTING. You can back a team, horse or event to lose.
- BETFAIR SP. Get a great price with Betfair SP whether you are a Back or Lay punter.
- THE HUB. A fantastic information portal of punters of all shapes and sizes.
- BETFAIR RACING SIMULATOR. A brilliant tool that takes speed maps one step further.
Credit Card, POLi, BPAY, Neteller, Skrill, Bank Transfer
Credit Card, Bank Transfer (2-5 working days)
Skrill, Neteller (up to 24 hours)
Australian dollars (AUD)
Various international horse racing, greyhound racing and sports including soccer, darts, tennis, snooker
Credit Card - $10
POLi - $5
BPAY, Bank Transfer - $30
Neteller - $25
Skrill - $15
Sport $5, Racing $5
|Deposit Turnover Requirements||
|Bonus Bet Turnover Requirements||
iPhone and Android available
Email, Live Chat, Twitter (@BetfairCS), Ph: 132238 (24/7)