5 Reasons why Hoppa will lay more than a finger on the G-Train
Fans around Australia have been on the edge of their seats in anticipation as these two heavyweights set to face off after trading a series of heated insults via social media.
The big Tongan destroyer has stated he would end Gallen’s sporting career and condemn him to the same fate as his coach, retirement – a clear jab at the issues currently impacting the Cronulla Sharks and the suspension of their premiership-winning coach, Shane Flanagan.
Gallen, who holds an undefeated professional record of 8-0, hit back out and declared if Hoppa beats him on Friday night, he will quit professional boxing.
However, the bookies will tell you that the result of Friday’s charity bout between the Shark’s captain Paul Gallen, and former NRL bad boy John ‘Hoppa’ Hopoate, is a foregone conclusion.
On reflection, punters may want to consider a few things that could balance the scales:
- – Hopoate has experience in the ring: Whilst Gallen’s bouts have been limited to charity & exhibitions fights, Hoppa has previously held & defended the Australian Heavyweight Title.
- – Quality of Gallen’s Opponents: With the exception of Herman Ene-Purcell, Gallen’s previous fights have been against inexperienced opponents who have fought 2 or fewer times.
- – Hoppa’s Record: 11 of Hoppa’s previous 12 victories have been via TKO/KO which is an intimidating record for the big Tongan.
- – Hoppa’s Belief: No, we're not referring to his religion here. It’s his confidence in the result. The former NRL star has attempted to secure his purse early in order to back himself with the Bookies to guarantee himself a bigger payday.
- – Gal’s Head Space: With all the off-field drama happening at the Sharks including Shane Flanagan’s and Valentine’s Holmes exit from the club, plus the upcoming season less than 4 weeks away, mentally this could be playing in Gallen’s mind heading into the bout.
Hopoate is priced at a healthy $5*, so if you’re eligible for the offers below you could really clean up if he turns back the clock and condemns Gallen into Boxing retirement. For example, a winning $100 bet on Hoppa could see you collecting $400.
Either way, it’s going to be an intriguing fight that will have plenty of fireworks.