Greyhounds Melbourne Cup Betting Preview
Bear looking to growl in another Group One
Poke The Bear (6) is looking at adding another Group One to his resume following his win in the TAB Topgun a few weeks back. The squeezebox is always a worry, however, with a brilliant beginner drawn his inside he can get across and be out of trouble. He is chasing like a machine at present. Black Opium (5) is the kennel mate to Poke The Bear and is unbeaten so far in her career. They are the two guns in this.
The Key Runners:
5. Black Opium – S Thompson: $3.10*: Comes into this with a perfect record from seven career starts. Is clearly the most inexperienced dog in the field but she is a star in the making. Speared the lids from six last week to lead throughout in 29.21. Is the likely leader again here and will be hard to run down.
6. Poke The Bear – S.Thompson: $3.40*: Is low flying at the moment. Chased down the very talented Miss Splendamiro in his heat last week and heads into the race with feature wins in the Topgun and Silver Bullet. Will benefit from the kennelmate (Black Opium) being a very quick beginner, so should get across. The one to beat.
8. West On Augie – R Britton: $10*: Was tough in leading throughout in his heat last week in 29.2. Has box speed but eight in this field probably doesn’t help him because it is highly unlikely he will find the top. Is a good place chance and if they jam up, he can win.
2. She’s Gifted – D.Coleman: $7*: Begins quickly and boxed in three is a definite help. Jumped reasonably and mustered good speed to lead at the first turn in her heat, stopping the clock in 29.29 in beating Barooga Brett. Probably needs a bit of clear running early but if she finds it, can definitely be a major player.
1. My Redeemer – D. Geall: $3.40*: Went 29.27 in his heat but was ultra impressive because it had to sit outside Hasten Slowly for the entire trip. Gets box one and does begin quickly enough so should be either behind the leader or at worse three back. Not sure he has the class to beat one or two others but will be there throwing punches at the finish.
Poke The Bear is one of our favourites and we are banking on him getting the cash here. If he gets clear running then it will take a superb effort to stop him.
Black Opium is the obvious danger and due to the closeness in betting between the two, we aren’t going any wider than that.