Is the Sydney FC juggernaut set to continue? Well, the defending A-league champions are unbeaten in 13 games across all competitions stretching back to last season and we doubt the visiting Phoenix are the ones to break that run. Sydney FC do come into this game off a tiring schedule though, having beaten Melbourne Victory last week and then taking care of South Melbourne in the FFA Cup semis on Wednesday night. Wellington began their campaign with a rather uninspiring 1-1 draw with Adelaide.
3 KEY POINTS
- SYDNEY FC were unbeaten at home last season (10-3)
- WELLINGTON were the second worst team defensively on road games last season, conceding 29 goals (only Newcastle were worse)
- SYDNEY FC conceded just four goals at home in 2016/17 during the regular season
- This fixture has produced three draws in the past six outings
- SYDNEY FC has won twice during this span while Wellington has just the one victory
- Sydney striker Bobo has goals in consecutive matches against Wellington while Milos Ninkovic has two goals in his past three against them
- If history is anything to go by then this is going to be a dour struggle but that is how Sydney likes it. You only have to look at last week’s 1-nil win over Melbourne Victory to see that the champs are the ones to beat again this season. With two games in a week, especially at this early stage of the season, Sydney FC could be a little flat but that will be negated by the fact they will be playing in front of ‘The Cove’. Although Wellington has some smart players, at this point we are happy to take the shorts about Sydney FC.
SYDNEY FC / SYDNEY FC
- Go for the Sky Blues to lead throughout
- The Johnny Warren Medal winner is always thereabouts when it comes to sniffing out a goal
TOTAL GOALS OVER OR UNDER
- This one could very well turn out to be a 1-nil job