Are the Jets about to break a hoodoo? Newcastle has had a barren run when it comes to picking up points in South Australia but the manner in which they are playing suggests they are a big chance of getting all three here. They go into the game off the back of emphatic 3-nil triumph over Wellington in Round 5. As for Adelaide, they are still in the top six but are hanging on by the skin of their teeth after suffering back-to-back losses.
3 KEY POINTS
- NEWCASTLE is one of three teams yet to taste defeat this season
- ADELAIDE is the only side yet to score the first goal of a match
- ROY O’DONOVAN has scored more goals (7) than the entire Adelaide side in 2017/18
I see red!
- Newcastle has not won in Adelaide for more than three years
- Adelaide has kept Newcastle scoreless in their past six road clashes
- Games are usually tight between these two with the total going Over 2.5 just once in their past six encounters
- The way the Jets are playing at the moment you just have to be on them. One can only imagine how good they would be going if they didn’t lose their star import Ronny Vargas, however, with the likes of O’Donovan, Dimitri Petratos and Andrew Nabbout, Ernie Merrick has a serious side on his hands. Adelaide are still trying to put together a healthy squad and are vulnerable at this stage.
NEWCASTLE / NEWCASTLE
- Expect the Jets to lead from start to finish
- The Irish hitman has bagged the first goal three times this season – the most of any player so far in 2017/18
TOTAL GOALS OVER OR UNDER
- Battles between these sides are usually pretty tight affairs