2018 Coolmore Legacy Betting Preview
Another wide-open G1 for the girls over a mile. Dixie Blossoms comes up the $5.50 favourite with 6 of the other 16 runners $11 or under. The lead-up races looked very even. Does this lend to a mare from a different form line getting the cash?
Moderate pace in this with the first 4 looking to be Prompt Response (7), Daysee Doom (17), Spanish Reef (15) and Silent Sedition (10). Behind these Perfect Rhyme (14), Aide Memoire (13), Samovare (16) and Eckstien (2) will look to slot in. Alizee from gate 8 could get a nice cart behind Samovare.
Map looks tough for Dixie Blossoms from 16 and similarly for Foxplay (9) and Oregon’s Day from (12). They could all be forced back further than they would’ve liked. Nettoyer, Heavens above, Abbey Marie and Payroll will all likely get back.
The Key Runners:
1. Daysee Doom – A.Adkins (57kg) (Barrier 17): $8.50: Genuine tryer who’s a Group 1 winner this prep. She’ll have to do some work early coming across form barrier 17 but should get a nice enough run. The 1600m is some query having finished 12th in a Myer and 2nd to Dixie Blossoms in the Angst last year (at the track). Good last start finishing less than a length off Prompt Response for 5th in a blanket finish. One of the exotics.
2. Foxplay – K.McEvoy (57kg) (Barrier 9): $11: Tricky map but has the right pilot to navigate. Winner of this race last year and tested Winx over the track and distance in the George Main last year. She’s since only been in and around the mark in plenty of these bunched finishes. Looked at her absolute top in the yard last start and had every chance. Risking.
3. Dixie Blossoms – C.Brown (57kg) (Barrier 16): $5.50: Map is very tough here form 16. She’s got an impeccable record at the 1600m of 6:2-1-2 and the track of 8:4-1-2. Narrowly denied by Foxplay in last year’s event and deserves to be right in the market here. Scared she’ll have to go too far back like last start and for that reason she’ll only be going in the exotics but a win would not shock.
4. Prompt Response – B.Shinn (57kg) (Barrier 7): $8.50: Good win from on speed in the Emancipation last start, keeping Oregon’s Day, Dixie Blossoms, Foxplay and Daysee Doom at bay. Another one who comes through all the good mare’s races in the bunched finishes. She might suit Rosehill 1400-1500m slightly better given her pattern. For that reason, she’s only going in wider exotics.
5. Silent Sedition – C.Williams (57kg) (Barrier 10): $7.50: Distance record looks questionable at 4:0-1-0 but she lost a plate in the Myer Classic and was only 1.2L away into 4th in last year’s event. Has won out to 1800m so the high-pressure should suit form an on-pace position. Trialled nicely at Cranbourne (beat Exocet by 3L) after being beaten just 0.3L in the Coolmore Classic (further back than expected). Melbourne formline beating Samovare by 2.25L in the Mannerism lines her up with Spanish Reef. Second pick.
7. Spanish Reef – M.Zhara (57kg) (Barrier 15): $9.50: Brings the different form to the race through Melbourne. Smacked Samovare by 2.75L last time out in the Sunline over 1600m. She did get the lead there but maps nicely again here. 3 from 3 this preparation and has a brilliant 5:4-1-0 record at the mile. The 3-week break keeps her on the fresh side where she races well. First crack in Group 1 company but she’s a mare in form and the price is brilliant. On top.
12. Aide Memoire – J.Collett (57kg) (Barrier 13): $26: A good roughie. Finally drew an outside barrier last start in the Coolmore Classic and finished only 1.2L from Daysee Doom. Draws out again here and looks to map much better. The mile is a plus, having won in Group 1 company over this trip in NZ. One to give your exotics some value.
17. Alizee – G.Schofield (54.5kg) (Barrier 8): $11: Coming back to the mile after running a solid race in the G1 Vinery over 2000m last start. That run should top her off nicely. She likes the 1600m having an emphatic won the G1 Flight stakes and a 3rd to Aloisia and Shoals in the G1 Thousand Guineas (where she started a hot $2.05 favourite). Maps to take up a more tactical position here than when she met most of these in the Coolmore Classic. Having a bet at the price.
1. Spanish Reef ($9.50)
2 Silent Sedition ($8.50)
3. Alizee ($11)
4. Aide Memoire ($26)
Very tough race to sort out. With queries over the main lead-up races, gone looking to some different form lines in Spanish Reef and Alizee.
- 30% of the race bank each way on Spanish Reef: Taking $9.50
- 20% of the race bank each way on Alizee: Splitting the bet between the $11 on offer and top tote.