2018 Ladbrokes Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes Betting Preview
Godolphin eyeing off another Group One
The rail goes out a further three metres to be 9m out the entire circuit from the previous meeting on September 1. That day was a definite advantage for horses either leading or sticking to the inside lanes, with notable winners being Ball of Muscle and Humidor.
Home Of The Brave is the obvious leader here. Showtime is set to get a kind run back on the pegs while very little is known about Jungle Cat. I’d expect the likes of Osborne Bulls, Peaceful State and Land Of Plenty to be positioned no worse than midfield turning for home.
The Key Runners:
1. Jungle Cat – J.Doyle (58kg) (Barrier 7): $10*: The x-factor in the race. Won the Group One Al Quoz Sprint in a race that saw aussie gallopers Illustrious Lad, Faatinah and Music Magnate all finish down the course. Faatinah has since returned to Australia and won the Carlyon at Moonee Valley at the end of August while Music Magnate was third to Siege Of Quebec in the Bill Ritchie last week. Jungle Cat is a member of the Charlie Appleby barn and his strike rate when coming to Australia is phenomenal. He has also been quoted as saying the entire has been set for this race. Respect.
2. Home Of The Brave – M.Zahra (57kg) (Barrier 10): $4.20*: Is the leader in the race and will give them something to catch. Has been good in two Australian runs, the latest of those when winning in the Heavy conditions in taking out the Theo Marks beating two outstanding types in D’argento and Trapeze Artist. Weight and distance shouldn’t be a problem and should be peaking for this. Hard to beat and like the one, is a member of the Godolphin barn.
3. Showtime – D.Dunn (56.5kg) (Barrier 1): $15*: Maps to get the suck run two or three back along the fence. The four-year-old knocked off Hartnell over this course and distance two starts back but didn’t replicate that last start in the Memsie Stakes. Will get a cheap run and is capable of a big finish. The definite value runner.
4. Osborne Bulls – C.Williams (55kg) (Barrier 8): $6*: An exciting galloper but jees you are taking a short enough price about him here. This is his strongest test to date but he has taken everything in his stride so far, winning eight of his 11 starts and is yet to finish outside the top three. Won well first-up at Caulfield in mid-August beating Land Of Plenty, who he meets again here, but the concern is where he gets to in the run. At his last five runs he has been near the rear of the field each time and with a capacity field here, is he good enough to give them all a start and beating?
15. Peaceful State – D.Yendall (52kg) (Barrier 14): $9.50*: Is one of the more interesting runners in the race. Had the flashing light on him when flying home to finish second to Land Of Plenty first-up over the unsuitable 1200 metres. Gets out to more like his ideal distance here but from 14 he is going to be giving some good horses a handy start. Out of the Darren Weir yard, he has a big finish as was demonstrated when winning in Listed company twice in Adelaide during the Autumn. Prior to that he pushed Grunt all the way in the Australian Guineas when finishing second and we all saw what Grunt did last week in the Makybe Diva!
Home Of The Brave ($4.20*)
Jungle Cat ($10*)
Osborne Bulls ($6*)
Peaceful State ($9.50*)
This is a race where you could have three or four picks and still miss out on the placings entirely! Confident that Home Of The Brave will give us a run for our money so he carries the lion’s share of investments.
50% of the bank on Home Of The Brave to win ($4.20*)
35% of the bank on Jungle Cat eachway ($10*)
15% of the bank on Peaceful State to win ($9.50*)