The rail is 3m out the entire course and the surface is rated a Soft 5 after rain on Wednesday. Should rain stay away for the remainder of the week then you can expect an upgrade.
Mizzy (12) has raced near the speed previously when second to Danawi in the Ming Dynasty so Brenton Avdulla could choose to press on from the wide gate. Another horse that has early speed is Symi (4) but it was a complete surprise to many that she ended up at the back of the field in the Tea Rose after leading at Randwick the start prior.
2. Miss Fabulass – K.McEvoy (56kg) (Barrier 3): $2*: Only bad luck looks like stopping her on Saturday. Was brilliant in winning the Tea Rose a fortnight back, bursting through a gap once it appeared midway down the straight to easily beat Fiesta and Pretty In Pink. Finished sixth over 1200m in the Furious Stakes prior to that but connections said she was ridden too close to the action. From barrier three here, and up to 1600 metres, McEvoy gets the chance to position her where he wants. Has the best sprint in the race looks the winner.
3. Fiesta – H.Bowman (56kg) (Barrier 6): $7.50*: Good first-up winner over 1200m (Silver Shadow) but has found one better in the Furious and Tea Rose. Put in a good shift last start against Miss Fabulass after being three-wide the trip but was clearly outpointed on the day. She did beat the rest of them on their merits though and if the breaks go her way, Hughie is capable of producing the upset. Definite quinella prospect.
4. Pretty In Pink – T.Angland (56kg) (Barrier 5): $6*: The money was on last start in the Tea Rose but they left it in the bag. The daughter of Sebring came from near last on the turn with a booming finish down the centre of the course to finish third to Miss Fabulass, with Fiesta splitting them. The distance won’t be a concern but she maps to get back in the field again. Will need some speed on and luck to go her way. She has a big motor and is one for the multiples.
7. Baccarat Baby – M.Hellyer (56kg) (Barrier 8): $18*: Winning form is good form and this girl comes into the race off the back of five straight wins. David Vandyke is a good trainer and his horses must always be respected. Baccarat Baby has been winning in Queensland and this is infinitely harder than anything she has contested lately, however, all you can do is win. From eight she probably gets into a spot midfield in running and she should run another top race. Value?
9. Maid Of Heaven – J.McDonald (56kg) (Barrier 1): $11*: Was doing her best work late in the Tea Rose behind Miss Fabulass. Was never going to win, especially after being a length off the second last horse turning for home, but she found the line strongly and was less than fourth lengths from the winner. From gate one she should settle closer to the action and could be one to throw into your multiples.
Miss Fabulass ($2*)
Pretty In Pink ($6*)
Maid Of Heaven ($11*)
The Metropolitan is always a fairly wide open affair and this year is no different. You can have five or six picks in the race and easily miss the top three!
Going for one out of the Waller barn in High Bridge. He has been ultra impressive in two runs in and with no weight on his back, he is carrying our big bet here while we are speccing Midterm and Wall Of Fire for a chop out.
100% of the bank on Miss Fabulass to win ($2*)