5 reasons why we think Savoie can take out the 2018 Victoria Derby.
We’re looking to fly into the Flemington Carnival courtesy of D.K. Weir Colt.
The Flemington carnival action begins this Saturday with Derby Day, arguably the best day of racing on the Australian calendar with every race on the card carrying group status. The card is highlighted by the 3yo boys doing battle over 2500m in the time-honoured Victoria Derby.
Thinkin’ Big has come up a firm $3* favourite in early markets, sapping plenty of percentage in a capacity field of 16 runners (+ 2 emergencies). We’ve gone looking for value around the Waterhouse Bott Colt and what better stable to turn to than Darren Weir. We believe his Colt Savoie has his hoof on the till and here’s why:
- - Won his maiden by 5.5 lengths in fast time with jockey Yendall sticking ever since.
- - Brained his opposition by 4 lengths in the Derby Trial over 1800m at this course three starts back.
- - Will slide over to sit just behind the lead from his wide gate.
- - Perfect fitness platform coming off two fast tempo races, placing in both.
- - Should’ve won last-start after shying at a car near the winning post and being headed on the line.
The $10* price seems an absolute steal! If you’re eligible for the offers below you could be starting the Cup carnival off firmly on the front foot. For example, a winning $150 bet on Savoie at $10* could see you netting a healthy $1,350.
In any event, this weekend will be providing some brilliant racing action.
*Prices correct at time of posting and subject to fluctuation.