Miracle Mile Betting Preview
Puppet to land another Miracle Mile from gun draw
Expect fireworks early with Poster Boy (1), Thefixer (2), Chase Auckland (3), My Alpha Rock (6) and Tiger Tara (8) all blessed with natural gate speed. If they were to go crazy in the early stages, this brings the likes of My Field Marshal into play who is aiming for back-to-back Miracle Miles.
Not a vintage field in the Miracle Mile but there is plenty of intrigue going into the race as to which drivers will throw the dice early and which ones will pull back and play for luck. Poster Boy was brilliant in the Chariots Of Fire and looks extremely hard to beat off the pole while Thefixer has drawn nicely to sniper his rivals again just like he has in two big races already this season. Tiger Tara is the best horse in the race but can the old boy sprint with his younger rivals?
The Key Runners:
1. Poster Boy – C.Alford: $3.90*: Was a brilliant winner of the Chariots Of Fire and showed he is a horse to be reckoned with at the top level. Is having his third run this prep and drawn ideally in the pole. Loves Menangle and will be either leading or behind the leader turning for home. Possesses a dazzling sprint – hard to beat!
2. Thefixer – N.Rasmussen: $3.50*: Scored the upset last week in beating Tiger Tara in the Allied Express Sprint when aided by a charmed run one-one. No doubting his class, Thefixer is a dangerous horse when driven off the speed and does have a deadly turn of foot, however, his one chink in the armour is that he cannot do a great deal of work as we saw two starts ago. You have to respect any horse that has won a New Zealand Cup.
3. Chase Auckland – L.McCarthy: $4*: Righted a few wrongs last week when doing plenty of work to blitz his rivals in an FFA in a sizzling 1:50.4 (26 the final quarter!). Was luckless the start prior in the Chariots when blocked for a clear run for most of the straight. Poses a big threat and should be in the first four turning for home.
8. Tiger Tara – T.McCarthy: $4.50*: The champ is aiming to become just the third horse to secure harness racing’s ‘Triple Crown’ behind the legendary Preux Chevalier and Village Kid. Dominated the Inter Dominion and Hunter Cups but this is shorter and there is a big question as to whether or not he still has the zip in his legs he once had. Was brought undone when leading in the Allied Express Sprint last week, going down to Thefixer. Is the toughest horse in the race but not sure he is the quickest anymore.
9. My Field Marshal – A.Butt: $4.50*: The defending champ and the Southern Hemisphere’s fastest pacer just scraped into the field. Has been given no favours drawing wide and has to go back if he is any chance. He will need to rely on plenty of luck and speed to get into the race and that is something he didn’t get last week when fifth to Spankem. Is the only horse in the field to go sub-par 1:47 and he did that winning last year’s race. Cannot rule him out but appears to face a steeper test than last season.
We are confident that those in double figures won’t be playing a part in the finish. So that being the case, we have to go big on our top two selections in order to make something out of the race because the odds don’t allow us to go too wide. Poster Boy will be carrying the bulk of our cash while Chase Auckland is the one we’ll save on.