Both teams will be keen to get on the front foot early. It is without saying that both sides were terribly disappointing last season, finishing well out of the playoff positions. The introduction of new coaches for Wellington and Adelaide was desperately needed as was the injection of fresh blood into the respective squads. Adelaide, the champions from the year before, had a wretched title defence and will be desperate to get back into the finals picture this year while Wellington will be hoping for a top-six finish at best.
3 KEY POINTS
- WELLINGTON were hard to knock off at home last campaign and picked up points in nine of their 14 matches
- ADELAIDE were clearly the worst road side in the A-league last season with just one win and four draws in 13 games
- WELLINGTON had decent starts to their games in 2016/17, leading at the break 11 times while Adelaide only led on five occasions
Wellington has struggled in this fixture
- Adelaide is unbeaten in their past five clashes against Wellington
- The past two clashes have ended in a draw
- The losing side has been kept scoreless in three of the past six clashes
- This is probably the hardest game of the round to pick. Both teams will have new faces and it is hard to get a read on who has had a better preseason. The trip to Wellington is always tough so on that score we are leaning the way of the home side. When you factor in Adelaide’s shocking away record from last season, it makes sense to go for the Phoenix here. Wellington has recruited reasonably in the offseason including signing on Darije Kalezic as new coach and getting former Socceroo Dario Vidosic to return to the league. Adelaide too have some exciting new faces in the squad but we’d rather wait and see how they go first before tipping them.
WELLINGTON / WELLINGTON
- We are going to bank on the fact the Phoenix will get off to a fast start and keep their rivals at bay from there on
- He was the Phoenix’s leading scorer last year with 12 and is sure to be a pivotal focus of the attack once again this season
TOTAL GOALS OVER OR UNDER
- Both sides may struggle early and could be a little sluggish.