Western Sydney vs Perth - Rd 1 A-League Preview & Betting Tips
Can the Wanderers put a chaotic week behind them and start the season with a bang?
Can the Wanderers put a chaotic week behind them and start the season with a bang? Inaugural coach Tony Popovic quit the club early this week which is hardly ideal considering it’s the start of the season. Just what impact that will have on the club here remains to be seen. Last season they had a very slow start to the campaign which ultimately saw them chasing their tails for the remainder of the season but they still managed to scrape into sixth place. Perth once again qualified for the finals but their away form proved to be their undoing.
3 KEY POINTS
- WSW only won one game in the opening eight rounds last season
- PERTH had one of the worst away records in the A-league in 2016/17 winning just two games
- The Wanderers suffered homesickness from Wanderland which is being rebuilt. Last season they switched home games between ANZ and Spotless Stadiums and won just four home matches
Perth finally broke their run of outs against WSW
- Perth won their last encounter 2-0 back in Round 21 last season – their first win against the Wanderers in five clashes
- Brendon Santalab scored in three straight matches against Perth but has been off the scoresheet in the past two games
- Western Sydney Wanderers have never failed to score when hosting Perth
- Popovic again seemed to recruit well, as has been the case every year since he’s been at the helm, but now that he’s gone there is definitely a question of the dynamics of the team. There are some handy imports coming into the side including Oriol Riera and Alvaro Cejudo who have La Liga experience while former Perth man Josh Risdon could line up against his former club. Speaking of lining up against their former club, Mitch Nichols and Scott Neville will be doing so for Perth here and don’t expect either side to show any love for their former teammates with a vital three points up for grabs.
WANDERERS / WANDERERS
- Perth’s terrible away form and slow starts from last season could come back to haunt them again if they haven’t sorted their issues
- The home side hired this guy to score goals and the former La Liga striker has already found the net in all three of the Wanderers FFA Cup ties
TOTAL GOALS OVER OR UNDER
- These games are usually brutal with the total going over three of the past six encounters