Melbourne Victory vs Melbourne City - Rd 2 A-League Preview & Betting Tips
The Victory are looking good for a hat-trick of Derby wins over their rivals.
The Victory are looking good for a hat-trick of Derby wins over their rivals. Although beaten 1-nil by the reigning champions last week, Melbourne Victory were strong throughout varying stages of the contest and probably looked unlucky not to take a share of the points. They will be aided by the return of their Socceroos, as will City, however Kevin Muscat’s side look open to improvement and we are anticipating they will be hard to beat here. City did well without Tim Cahill, Bruno Fornaroli and Fernando Brandan as they never looked in trouble in recording a 2-nil win over Brisbane in Round 1.
3 KEY POINTS
- MELBOURNE CITY were ranked fifth in the A-league last season in away games (4-3-7 record)
- MELBOURNE VICTORY will have several key players return including James Troisi and Mark Milligan
- Tim Cahill is expected to play a part for Melbourne City after playing all game with the Socceroos on Tuesday
Victory dominated early before a City revival
- MELBOURNE VICTORY has won the past two contests after City hadn’t lost the previous four
- Besart Berisha has scored in the past two derbies
- Correct Score punters should note that the last two Melbourne Derbys have ended in a 2-1 result
- Muscat’s men served it up to Sydney FC in large parts of the game last week and the only thing separating them at the finish was an own goal. Leroy George will be better for the run and with a few key men returning to the line-up, we think they will have too much in the locker for City at this stage of the season.
CITY / VICTORY
- Melbourne City has scored the first goal in five of the last six clashes, however, we are predicting the Victory will come over the top at the finish
- The 22-year-old bagged a double last week and is in fine form heading into this one
TOTAL GOALS OVER OR UNDER
- Five of the past six Melbourne Derbys have ended up with three goals or more