The Jets are primed to deliver a third straight loss to the Roar. Newcastle has hit the ground running in the opening two rounds of the A-league and has scored seven times already. The Jets drew 2-2 at home against Perth last week but will confident of testing a Brisbane side that is struggling to gain traction early on. The Roar were leading 1-nil until the dying stages last week but conceded two quick goals to lose 2-1 to Adelaide at home.
3 KEY POINTS
- NEWCASTLE are the league’s highest scoring team
- ROY O’DONOVAN leads the Golden Boot race with four goals in two matches
- BRISBANE has lost five straight matches across all competitions
Never a dull moment
- Each side has won two games apiece with two draws thrown into the mix in their past six encounters
- Punters who like betting the Over/Unders should look at the Overs here – an average of 3.66 goals have been scored in the past six games
- Andrew Nabbout has scored in consecutive matches against Brisbane
- New coach Ernie Merrick has his side firing at the moment and the combination between Roy O’Donovan, Andrew Nabbout, Dimi Petratos and Ronald Vargas has made them a very dangerous side. It is their dominance in the midfield which could ultimately win them the three points here as the Roar are still missing key enforcer Thomas Kristensen. It must also be mentioned that French winger Eric Bautheac is still awaiting his visa approval to link up with John Aloisi’s side.
NEWCASTLE / NEWCASTLE
- Newcastle are fast starters and have scored four goals in the opening 45 minutes of their two games so far
- Who else? He is proving to be a sensational pick up for Merrick and is showing why he is regarded as one of the most dangerous strikers in the competition
TOTAL GOALS OVER OR UNDER
- Definitely Overs here with 11 goals being scored in the past three games between the sides