City’s championship credentials go on the line in this one. They are topping the table at this point and are the only team with a perfect record after a month, however, they face the defending premiers in a clash that is likely to sort out which team is entitled to early season favouritism to win the Grand Final. City go into the game having disposed of Adelaide 2-0 while Sydney racked up a similar scoreline against Perth at home.
3 KEY POINTS
- MELBOURNE CITY is just the fourth team to win their opening four games – the other three went on to win the title that season
- SYDNEY FC is aiming to equal the best start to an A-league season by a defending premier but need to win (Brisbane, 2011-12)
- CITY is just one of two teams to have scored the opening goal in all four of their games
Good run of form
- Sydney FC has won their past three games against Melbourne City
- Bobo has five goals in his past three A-league games against Melbourne City while Alex Brosque has scored in consecutive matches against them
- These teams met in the FFA Cup quarter-final back in September where Sydney won 2-0
- This match has ‘Draw’ written all over it. City’s defence has been stingy in the opening month, conceding just one goal while Sydney FC have created plenty of scoring chances in their matches so far but haven’t really been able to put away sides. Tim Cahill is missing for City on Socceroos duty and that will dampen the potency of their attack but overall, both sides are pretty evenly matched at this point and in front of what should be a packed AAMI Park, we are going for the Draw.
MELBOURNE CITY / DRAW
- City are noted fast starters but Sydney FC can finish strong
- The former Championship Golden Boot winner is in form with three goals in his past two matches
TOTAL GOALS OVER OR UNDER
- There will be very little given to either side so we are expecting a low scoring affair