Newcastle vs Wellington - Rd 5 A-League Preview & Betting Tips
Can Wellington play for the whole 90 minutes when they travel to Newcastle this weekend?
Can Wellington play for the whole 90 minutes when they travel to Newcastle this weekend? They were simply brilliant in the opening 20 minutes against Brisbane last week, however, let a 3-nil lead slip away and eventually had to share the points with the Roar. The need to take advantage of those quick starts and face a team that has had a knack of beginning quickly this season in Newcastle, however, they were terrible early on against Western Sydney. Despite that they began life without Ronny Vargas with a 1-1 draw and will be enjoying their second straight home game here.
3 KEY POINTS
- NEWCASTLE is the best attacking team in the competition (2.5 goals per game)
- WELLINGTON is the only team in the A-league not to get an away point at this stage (two games)
- ROY O’DONOVAN is the league’s leading scorer with five goals but didn’t register last week
Home Sweet Home
- The home side has won four of the past five between the sides (with one draw)
- Wellington won their last clash against Newcastle 5-0
- An average of 3.83 goals per game has been scored in their past six encounters
- We just can’t buy into the Phoenix on the road at this point of the season. They leaked three goals at home against a Roar side that was struggling to find the back of the net, so what are the chances they keep the league’s leading scorers goalless? Newcastle are a good team and are yet to lose in the opening four matches. They are solid enough and with the defensive problems of the Phoenix, should be good enough to secure the three points at home.
NEWCASTLE / NEWCASTLE
- Expect Ernie Merrick to have blasted the Jets for their lackadaisical start last week and get back to their customary good beginning here
- He scored the leveler for Newcastle last week and showed that Newcastle has more striking options than just Roy O’Donovan
TOTAL GOALS OVER OR UNDER
- Going on recent history – definitely the Overs!