Australia vs Honduras – World Cup playoff Preview & Betting Tips
Will one goal decide who goes to Russia in 2018?
Will one goal decide who goes to Russia in 2018? We head into the second leg of this World Cup playoff between Australia and Honduras locked at nil-all after the first leg in Honduras. ANZ Stadium is the venue for this match and the ground has played host to a number of important Australian sporting moments in the past, but will this be another? The way the Socceroos played on Saturday morning suggests they are in the box seat for a ticket to Russia. They dominated large parts of the game in a foreign environment and on a surface that was amateurish at best. With a number of key personnel coming back into the mix for this game it is definitely ‘advantage’ for Ange Postecoglu’s men.
3 KEY POINTS
- AUSTRALIA are likely to call on the fresh legs of Matt Leckie, Robbie Kruse and Mark Milligan for this match
- TIM CAHILL is likely to feature in the match
- The SOCCEROOS have won nine matches, drawn once and lost once at ANZ Stadium
- Everything points to Australia getting the result and punching their ticket to the World Cup. The nil-all result in Honduras has played in their favour, however, the Socceroos will be ruing a few guilt edge chances that they had to score a few away goals. That has been the problem for Australia for quite some time – their finishing. Getting into the box and creating chances isn’t the issue but if they can put away a few of those chances in front of a packed ANZ Stadium on Wednesday then they will win easily. Honduras have to open up a bit if they want to create some scoring opportunities and the fact they arrived in Sydney 24 hours after the Socceroos isn’t ideal for them. Postecoglu will make changes to the starting XI from the other day and that is likely to feature Kruse, Milligan, Leckie and Cahill. The return of skipper Mile Jedinak made the team look 10 times better than the one that struggled against Syria. He and the rest of them will be better for Saturday’s experience.
AUSTRALIA / AUSTRALIA
- Expect the home side to come out firing and get one on the board early
- If Australia’s greatest ever scorer gets a start then definitely jump on him to be first goalscorer
TOTAL GOALS OVER OR UNDER
- We’ll take the unders here because of the sudden death nature of the game