Can the Roar kick start their season with a win? Brisbane are on an unwanted club record run and after six rounds are still searching for their first victory. They are playing a little better than earlier in the year when they dropped three straight to start the campaign, however, go into this game off the back of three consecutive draws with the latest of those a 1-1 stalemate against Melbourne Victory. City’s perfect start to the season has come unstuck in the past fortnight with a loss and draw to the two Sydney sides but they are still one of the early standouts.
3 KEY POINTS
- BRISBANE are now winless in their past 10 matches which is the longest winless run in club history
- MELBOURNE CITY has the best defence in the competition and have conceded an average of half a goal a game through six rounds
- Massimo Maccarone and Ross McCormack are responsible for half the goals scored by their respective teams
- Each side has won twice in their past six clashes with the other two results being draws
- Bruce Kamau has scored three times in the past two games against Brisbane including a double in their Round 1 win
- Brisbane has scored four goals against City in their past four matches, however, every one of those was scored by the now departed Jamie Maclaren
- John Aloisi’s men will be desperate to break their record winless run and we think they will get the money here. Former Socceroo Brett Holman played a key part last week off the bench and is pressing for a starting role again. With Tim Cahill likely to be out of action for most of the game due to Socceroo commitments midweek, Brisbane has the chance to jump City and get a valuable three points.
DRAW / BRISBANE ROAR
- Expect a tough match in the opening 45 minutes before the Roar try to apply the screws in the second half
- The Italian has been a great buy for Aloisi and the Roar so far
TOTAL GOALS OVER OR UNDER
- We don’t expect to see many put past the respective keepers in this one