The Jets are in the perfect form to break their horrendous record against Sydney FC. Newcastle sits top of the table after their 2-1 come-from-behind win against Adelaide while Sydney FC’s club-record 18-game unbeaten run came to an end after losing 2-0 to Central Coast last Friday night.
3 KEY POINTS
- NEWCASTLE is one of only two unbeaten teams left in the A-league
- NEWCASTLE is the best attacking team in the competition with an average of 2.5 goals per game
- SYDNEY FC has conceded two goals in three of their six games so far in 2017/18 – they conceded just 12 all of last regular season
- Sydney FC has not lost to Newcastle in their past 13 clashes
- Newcastle’s last away win against Sydney was five years ago
- Newcastle has not scored against Sydney in their past six games while the scoreline of 2-nil has popped in the past four games
- This will test the Jets’ premiership credentials, however, we are going for the upset. They are playing an exciting brand of football and are blessed with a number of talented attackers including Roy O’Donovan, Dimi Petratos and Andrew Nabbout who are creating plenty of chances in each match. The only criticism of their play in recent weeks has been their slow starts and if they do fall out of the boxes then they could find themselves down a goal or two in no time. That said, Newcastle are playing better than Sydney at the moment who are sorely missing Adrian Mierzejewski at the moment. Will he or won’t he play this week?
NEWCASTLE / NEWCASTLE
- The Jets aren’t hopeless at quick starts and have scored the first goal on three occasions this season
- The Irishman is having a great season so far and is the logical choice in this market
TOTAL GOALS OVER OR UNDER
- This could turn out to be a real thriller if both sides bring their striking boots