Adelaide vs Sydney FC - Rd 9 A-League Preview & Betting Tips
Reds seeking FFA Cup revenge.
Even though we only saw these two teams duke it out last week, this match is very much a tantalising prospect to kick off Round 9 of the A-League. Sydney FC is still riding high after winning the FFA Cup Final against Adelaide last Tuesday, but by the same token Adelaide will be keen on getting instant revenge for the 2-1 loss in extra time. Of course, that match ended in heated circumstances with an all-in brawl erupting after Michael Marrone’s now infamous ball boy clash. Will fireworks fly again in this one? Historically, these two have been evenly matched in head-to-head battles, but Sydney the better of the two following its all-conquering campaign last season. This one is a tough one to choose from, with both Adelaide (2-0 against Western Sydney) and Sydney (3-1 against Brisbane) handsome winners on the weekend.
3 KEY POINTS
- Both ADELAIDE and SYDNEY FC are coming into the match on the back of two-straight A-League wins.
- Both teams received red cards last week, with SYDNEY’S Matt Simon and ADELAIDE’S Ben Garuccio to now miss this match through suspension.
- ADELAIDE has won just one of its three matches at Coopers Stadium this season.
- Sydney took all before it last season and, naturally, won two of its three games against Adelaide, with the other game being a draw.
- In 37 games overall, Adelaide has won 17 and Sydney 15.
- Sydney FC won the FFA Cup Final played between these two teams last Tuesday, with Bobo netting the winner in extra time.
- Even though Sydney’s win in the FFA Cup Final was a deserved one on the balance of play, Adelaide gave as good as it got for most of the encounter. With players coming back after a raft of injuries interrupted its start to the season, Adelaide is once again starting to show what it is capable of. This is a stern test against the champions, but on its home deck it should be good enough to get at least a point.
SYDNEY / DRAW
- Watch for Sydney to typically start strongly before Adelaide roars home, as it has made a habit of doing this season.
- It’s an obvious one, but how can you go past the Brazilian goal-poacher at the moment? Perhaps the most in-form (fit) striker in the competition right now.
TOTAL GOALS OVER OR UNDER
- There’s just something about Coopers Stadium when two good teams go against each other on a Friday or Saturday night – an entertaining encounter where often lots of goals develop.