UFC 222 Preview & Betting Tips
The T-Mobile Arena will be hosting UFC 222 as Cris Cyborg faces off against Yana Kunitskaya for the Women’s Featherweight Title.
Another fight that is sure to impress sees a battle between Frankie Edgar and Brian Ortega. This Featherweight fight is sure to ruffle some feathers as both men have shown how dangerous they can be during their respective careers.
3 KEY POINTS
1. Yana Kunitskaya is making her UFC debut
2. Cris Cyborg has a 95% takedown defence rate
3. Cris Cyborg has finished 84% (16/19) of her wins by way of TKO/KO
Cris Cyborg (19-1-0) vs. Yana Kunitskaya (10-3-0) – Women’s Featherweight
Sunday 3:30 AEST
- Cris Cyborg enters the octagon once again to defend her Women’s Featherweight Title against the dangerous Yana Kunitskaya.
Kunitskaya makes her long awaited UFC debut up against a fighter who is widely regarded as the most ferocious in the women’s game at the moment. Kunitskaya currently holds a 10-3-0 record from her mixed martial arts career, which is formidable to say the least. However, her opponent’s 19-1 record dwarfs her numbers and we’ve seen the damage that she can dish out to her opponents.
Kunitskaya is a striker, which will give her an opportunity to make this fight competitive. Cyborg had some trouble with Holly Holm last time round given Holm’s striking ability. Cyborg will no doubt have learnt from her last outing, ideally finding that balance between tenacity and calculated striking.
Cyborg has a 95% takedown defense rate, which almost completely shuts off an entire avenue that Kunitskaya may have wanted to use. The Russian will have to stand and trade with Cyborg, which will deliver us an entertaining fight.
Welcome to the UFC Yana, good luck!
Tip: Cris Cyborg KO
Frankie Edgar (22-5-1) vs. Brian Ortega (13-0-0) – Men’s Featherweight
Sunday 4:00 AEST
- Frankie Edgar and Brian Ortega square up in a battle at the upper end of the Featherweight ladder. Edgar will be honed in here, as he knows he’s next in line for a shot at titleholder Max Holloway. Holloway pulled out of this bout due to a leg injury, which would’ve given Edgar his long-awaited opportunity.
Brian Ortega will be no easy feat for Edgar as T-City Ortega is currently undefeated at 13-0. Ortega has had a number of come from behind victories against fighters such as Diego Brandao and Clay Guida. Neither being a pushover to say the least. Ortega is never out of a fight no matter what the circumstances.
Ortega is not made for the ground game as he averages less than a takedown per fight. Ortega is a clever fighter though and has notched over 50% of his victories due to submission.
Edgar is an uber efficient fighter with good accuracy and a great tenacity in his combinations. This has the opportunity to earn fight of the night honours as these two Featherweight’s show us what the division is all about.
Tip: Frankie Edgar by Decision