Newcastle v Southampton prediction, lineups, results and betting tips brought to you by oddschecker football expert George Gamble.
The Magpies are on the verge of making it to their first League Cup final since 1976 and given their exceptional improvement this season, you would be brave to bet against them getting there. But first, they must defend their 1-0 advantage and send Southampton packing.
Newcastle United v Southampton Stats:
- Southampton are averaging the second-least shots on target per away match in the league
- Newcastle have kept seven league clean sheets on home soil - a league high
- Seven cars were seen in the first-leg but this clash has much more riding on it
Newcastle United v Southampton Prediction:
Betting Tip: Newcastle win, Newcastle most shots on target, Newcastle most corners
We’ve had some joy on the Bet Builders lately and I'm looking at another one here, however, it is priced up at just over even money at 11/10. But looking at the matchup between these two, it stands a very good chance.
The hosts have a slender 1-0 lead going into the second-leg of this tie but given how dominant they have been in the defensive department, that is a strong lead. In the league, no side has kept more clean sheets on home soil than their seven and they welcome a side in Southampton who, despite needing to chase the game, are averaging the second fewest shots on target per match.
The hosts will inevitably have to pick their moments as the onus is on the visitors to come forward. But on the break they can be devastating and it would not be a surprise to see them win this match outright.
They also average around eight corners per game and in front of a St. James' Park with fans eager to see their side book their spot in the final, Newcastle should be able to attack and rack up the corners.
Betting Tip: Over 3.5 cards
We saw a colossal seven cards handed out in the first-leg with Southampton’s Duje Caleta-Car eventually sent off and with a spot in the final on the line, this one could also spill over.
Visitors to this ground have averaged 2.6 yellow cards per game and I do think with the players on show, there should be a number of situations that could leave referee Paul Tierney with no choice but to brandish a card.
This once could get off to a slow start as the sides look to find their feet and work out how they’re going to navigate the remaining time. But in the second half and as we approach the remaining 15 minutes, expect a number of players to put everything on the line to help their team make it to Wembley.
I thought the line may have been 4.5 and so the 3/4 available on over 3.5 cards makes plenty of appeal.
Newcastle vs Southampton Results
|23/01/2023||Southampton 0-1 Newcastle||Carabao Cup|
|06/11/2022||Southampton 1-4 Newcastle||Premier League|
|10/03/2022||Southampton 1-2 Newcastle||Premier League|
|28/08/2021||Newcastle 2-2 Southampton||Premier League|
|06/02/2021||Newcastle 3-2 Southampton||Premier League|
Newcastle vs Southampton Team News
- Jonjo Shelvey will not be involved in this game, as he is in talks to sign for Nottingham Forest
- Martin Dubravka is ineligible to play, after he appeared in the League Cup for Manchester United earlier in the season
- Matt Targett and Emil Krafth remain sidelined through injury
- Duje Caleta-Car was sent off in the previous leg, but can return here, after serving his suspension for Saints' FA Cup tie against Blackpool on the weekend
- Moussa Djenepo is a doubt for this game after he was taken off in the previous leg with a suspected concussion so will have to be assessed
- Tino Livramento, Juan Larios and Alex McCarthy all remain out with injuries
- Armel Bella-Kotchap should return to the starting lineup after he started on the weekend against Blackpool
Newcastle vs Southampton Lineups:
Predicted lineups are brought to you by WhoScored.com.
Pope, Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn, Longstaff, Guimaraes, Willock, Almiron, Isak, Joelinton
Bazunu, Lyanco, Bella-Kotchap, Salisu, Walker-Peters, Alcaraz, Lavia, Armstrong, Ward-Prowse, Orsic, Adams
Newcastle vs Southampton Score Prediction:
Newcastle United 2-0 Southampton